It’s cold camping weather and we’re here to list the Top 6 Cold Camping Essentials to keep you warm on your next camping trip.
It’s the same concept for all these essentials; your body produces warmth and when camping in the cold your #1 goal is to keep your body from losing the heat.
When temperatures drop below zero, most people tend to avoid winter camping and backpacking, but they are missing out! As long as you’re properly prepared, the weather shouldn’t be too scary!
(This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks!)
Top 6 Cold Camping Essentials
Let’s start with the most basic, a down jacket. Down is one of the best insulators there is; it’s light in weight and traps heat efficiently. Enough to keep even the coldest cozy. And a major plus if it packs down into a small bag so you can easily tuck it in your backpack.
Patagonia Down Sweater
The Patagonia Down Sweater is a lightweight and windproof jacket with a 100% recycled polyester ripstop shell and 800-fill-power Advanced Global Traceable Down which means the feathers come from geese that are never force-fed or live-plucked.
- A versatile, warm jacket for outdoor or casual pursuits
- Recycled ripstop exterior is durable & breathable
- DWR treatment sheds light moisture
- 800-fill Traceable Down assures lofted warmth
- Zippered hand pockets keep small necessities close by
- Internal pocket doubles as a stuff sack for jacket
- Adjustable hem provides a personalized, sealed-in fit
- Contoured fit and slightly longer hem double down on warmth
Wool Socks for Cold Camping
Wool is an amazing insulator AND helps with absorbing moisture which is perfect for feet.
Smart Wool Classic Hike
The Smart Wool Classic Hike has a full cushioning on the entire sock that adds warmth and protection so you can go farther on every hike. Merino wool content is ZQ certified to ensure sustainability.
- Classic hiking crew sock upgraded with recycled materials
- Knit with cozy, responsibly sourced merino wool
- Merino offers natural odor- and temperature-regulation
- Full-foot cushioning adds warmth and protection where needed
- Performance-oriented fit with flexible ankle and elasticated arch
- Proprietary Shred Shield reduces wear and tear from toes
- Smartwool socks designed and developed in the USA
Insulated Sleeping Pad
This may be one of the most important essentials. When sleeping you lose your body heat to the cold ground which is why this base is vital to keeping you warm at night!
Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra
The Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra is made of Primaloft insulation which gives it an R-value of 4.5 for increased warmth, and a quick inflation valve makes blowing it up or deflating it a breeze.
- Insulated sleeping pad designed for backpacking
- Primaloft insulation offers lightweight warmth for chilly nights
- Laminated ripstop packs small and provides increased durability
- High-volume valve allows efficient inflation and fast deflation
- I-Beam construction reduces weight without disrupting stability
- Comes with a stuff sack and pad inflation sack for quick inflation
Sleeping Bag Liner for Cold Camping
Like an extra blanket on a bad a liner inside your bag adds an additional layer of insulation and adds degrees of warmth to your sleeping bag.
Sea to Summit Silk Liner
The Sea to Summit Silk Liner Premium AA-grade ripstop silk keeps you unbelievably comfortable for how durable it is, and comfort stretch panels allow this liner to move with every toss and turn.
- Premium AA grade ripstop silk
- Comfort stretch panels
- Reinforced seams
- Machine washable
Check the latest price at:
More wool! As mentioned before wool is a great insulator and there is nothing warmer than a pair of wool pajamas. Plus it dries quickly and keeps it’s insulating properties when wet.
Smart Wool Classic Thermal
The Smart Wool Classic Thermal is a heavier merino wool knit that provides significant warmth, ventilation, and odor resistance for a cozy, pampered feel while braving the coldest winter chills.
- Warm baselayer crew that can be worn alone or layered
- Merino wool keeps you warm and ventilated
- Flatlock seams prevent chafing when you’re out and about
- Slim fit reduces bulk while layering
- Merino wool is naturally odor-resistant for staying fresh
Hat for Cold Camping
Another essential! Literally designed to keep a cap on your body heat. It not only keeps your head and ears warm from cold weather but your entire body as well.
Smart Wool Merino 250 for Cold Camping
The Smart Wool Merino 250 traps in heat. Exclusively constructed with merino wool, this hat is a 4.0 student when it comes to regulating your temperature.
- Cuffed beanie for casual warmth
- Merino wool is soft against your skin
- Merino holds natural anti-odor properties
- Double-layer interlock knit blocks out chills
Check the latest price at:
Bonus | Sleeping Bag
Hope you enjoyed our guide for The Top 6 Cold Camping Essentials. Don’t forget about the sleeping bag! Not sure what sleeping bag is best for cold camping? Check out one of our latest posts for The Top 6 Winter Sleeping Bags of 2021.