This was a commissioned commercial photoshoot for Toad and Co. In partnership with TOAD AND CO., I headed to the beautiful red rocks of Sedona so it could play its part as the backdrop for the Fall 2017 lineup. The setting played a huge role in balancing the colors of this year’s wardrobe and the pooch played her role in balancing out all of the worries of the world.
What is a Brand Photoshoot?
When we say brand photoshoot, it covers a broad segment. In this case, we are shooting clothing, but we are also helping to shape the “feel” of the entire brand. Therefore, we are shooting on behalf of the whole brand itself, and not just a product.
What’s most important to us when conducting a brand photoshoot like this is delivering more than what our client expects. Fortunately, Toad & Company was fantastic about giving us a direction but allowing us complete creative freedom.
(This post contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks!)
What Gear I Used on this Shoot
Since this is an outdoor brand, and we are constantly moving from location to location, everything is captured using natural light. When needed, we had a reflector positioned to help feed some extra fill.
- Canon EOS R – Incredibly fast AF and those juicy Canon color tones.
- Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 – Super sharp, insanely fast. Use anytime we need some tight shots or wanted to compress the image to give that sense of “feel” to the viewer
- Canon EF 24-105mm f4 – This is actually my most used lens. I love having the ability to punch in to 105mm, and also get some landscapes at 24mm. It’s also one of the cheapest, so that helps justify when I bang it around on backpacking trips.
- Peak Design CF Tripod – Most of my shooting was handheld until I also needed to be the model. In this case, I throw the camera on the PD Tripod, frame it up, set the R5 to a timelpase interval, and shoot!
- Peak Design Everyday Bag 20L – I like having the smaller footprint of the 20L on my back and am able to fit everything I need in it. I have used this bag exculsively for 5 years and it still perfroms like the day I got it.